Friday, June 20, 2008

Due Date

Today was Eliza's due date.

Last year I had a small celebration for the anniversary of the day Eliza should have been born. This year I decided to forgo that and spend a quiet evening with just the two of us. There is such a startling contrast between what Eliza looked liked when she was born and when she should have been born.





Anyone who thinks that a baby born 14 weeks too soon is just a smaller version of a 40 weeker should look at these two photos. People want to believe that an extremely premature baby is just a miniature 40 weeker who needs to be fattened up a bit because they don't want to accept that maybe, just maybe there is a hell of a lot more involved in that last trimester of development.

And for a little more comparison, here is Eliza in 2007,



And in 2008.



Happy should-have-been Birthday Eliza Grace.

6 comments:

  1. we share anniversaries. I just posted about Nina's 1 year homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference two years makes! She gets more beautiful & certainly more charming. Happy Should've Been Birthday, Eliza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...she has gorgeous eyes! You must hear that all the time. Just a beautiful girl. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how we missed this post...but happy due date Eliza. And as gorgeous as you are on the blog, you are even moreso in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my own micro-preemie....o.k. he's not exactly MY own. He is my foster son, but for all intents and purposes I have been his mother fot the past year. He was born at 23 weeks and will be 2 in August! They are miracles, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber,

    Foster or not, your micro preemie is yours!

    I started reading your blog on Guinea. What a wonderful experience. I have a friend who is involved with a group called Visiting Orphans and says that visiting orphanages in Ethipoia just to spend time with, comfort and play with the children was a truly life changing time for her. Something I would like to do some day when Eliza is older.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...