Friday, October 17, 2008

These Boots Are Made For Walking



Have I mentioned to you that this kid can walk? And walk. And walk. And walk ...

Eliza has decided that her beloved Bugaboo stroller which has been our primary means of transport throughout the city should be retired. What she once thought of as her Rolls Royce ride is now an instrument of torture. Eliza simply will not get into the thing and would prefer to hoof it on her own everywhere we go.



Now I know few people people believe me when I tell them Eliza can easily walk a mile without breaking a sweat, so I have enlisted Mapquest to prove my point.

Twice weekly trek to the hospital for therapy: .97 miles each way.

Twice weekly trek to gym class: .65 miles each way

Daily trip to either of her favorite playgrounds: .40 miles each way.

Adding all this up, just walking to and from these three destinations each week totals 10.48 miles per week.

This does not count the running, climbing and jumping in the park, gym class or therapy. Nor does it include the various short walks to the grocery, the pharmacy, the parking garage, etc.

So can anyone tell me where a toddler who lives on about 700 calories a day finds the energy for all of this?

9 comments:

  1. WOW!! Eliza is a born walker, she'd out walk me any day! I'm hoping you aren't having to chase her during any of these walks--LOL!

    Hugs & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the walking is building up Eliza's muscles and that is all to the good, but poor mama's nerves! I notice that you discreetly left out the time it takes her to acomplish these feats...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I was perusing your blog and ran across the entry titled, "What did Eliza miss by not having a third trimester?" I LOVE the way you summarized each week and clearly explained why that third trimester is so important to a fetus. And more importantly your paragraph on what our micro preemies encounter is perfectly to the point.

    I would like to use this on my blog to educate my blog "followers" and would like your permission. Also, I think it'd be wonderful for members of the micropreemie group to see as well! I wasn't a member at the time you posted it and I'm not sure if it was spawned by group discussions from the group (which is how I found your blog to begin with), but I think it's worth revisiting and hope you think so too!

    Thanks!
    Heather Thompson
    heatherthompson88@yahoo.com
    Mom of twin boys born @ 26 weeks, 4 days - Parker 1.6 oz and Tyler 1.10 oz. Tylerparkerthompson.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous ... Yes there are certainly hair-raising moments as we cross the avenues but I am pleased to report that Eliza is figuring out that for some reason (unknown to her!) we stop at each corner before we cross.

    As to her speed, well no land speed records are being set, but she can walk the .97 miles in 30 to 40 minutes ... not too bad for someone with who hasn't broken the three foot mark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather,

    You are more than welcome to use my post about the missing third trimester on your blog. Your boys are beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now we know why those pants you are returning (above) are too big! Can I come live with Eliza for a few months? I'd lose 40 pounds walking that much.

    And hey, next time someone comments on her weight, you can tell them that she's an athlete who walks 10 miles a week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all...cool stroller!!! Second...I'm in love with the boots. Third...all I could think of the walking was...calories, burning lots and lots of calories.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you just described Kaitlyn, she too walks everywhere, I think she needs to take in about 1200+ cal/day, I'm LUCKY if she gets in about 500, and with all the exercise she gets, no wonder I too have a "bag of bones" for a duaghter (loved your reponse to the Talbot ladies, good for you!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...