Thursday, November 6, 2008

Finally a Decent Report Card

I had a nice surprise today when I got the following email from Eliza's speech-feeding therapist about today's session. Eliza attended with Joyce her new nanny and BFF since I had to work (still waiting for the winning Lotto ticket). I don't think I have ever received such a nice report on a feeding therapy session:

Hi Anne,

Eliza had a great session with me today! She ate 2 goldfish and “crunched” on them with her molars- showing me the bites she took. She took a small bite of a grape, took the skin off of it, and ate the remaining piece. Then she took two licks of the applesauce with her finger. She didn’t particularly like the applesauce (not sure if she likes cinnamon?) but she was interested in it. Also, she took a bite of the cracker and then spit it out because it was too big of a bite. But most importantly, Eliza went through the entire session without ANY tantrums, climbing out of the chair, saying no, or swiping things off the table. It was a great session!! I’m really starting to see a huge difference in her demeanor and it can only mean positive things! I told Joyce that the session went really well and she was happy as well. It’s great that Joyce is on board with helping Eliza!!

Thanks!!

Vanessa

6 comments:

  1. Anne,
    I am beyond thrilled for both you and Eliza! Things are moving forward for the both of you & I'm sure more is right around the corner. Thanks for sharing it with us. Sending you positive thoughts & prayers ALWAYS!!

    Hugs & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,

    We've never met, I stumbled upon your site this summer while checking up on another premie near me. I enjoy your personality (you tell people -like the insensitive salespeople - what they need to hear just as I would love to somedays). I can't imagine being in your place, nor do I have children of my own, (I live vicariously through my nephews and high school students) but from reading your posts since this summer I think you rock as a Mom! I am SO happy for you today about Eliza's good report card!!!! I hope there are many more of those days ahead! No matter what - Eliza has a great Mom who will always "wub" her!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words Becky! I look at it this way. None of asked to be in this boat, but in the boat we are. We need to try to make the best of it, but not in a polly-anna kind of way. Rather with a healthy dose of reality and some good humor thrown in for good measure.

    I too hope there are many good "report cards" to come and will be sure to post them ... because I sure don't want to always post about the doom and gloom and I am sure no one wants to always read about the doom and gloom either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Eliza! The not swiping/not squirming thing is tremendous. I'm hoping that having a nanny who is with the program will help you guys; I suspect Ami and all she does to get Hallie to eat has really helped us a huge amount.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps I should credit "Dora the Explorer" with the no swiping as in "Swiper no swiping!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! I am so glad that Eliza Grace is ready to explore food like that! And that is so great she can say I wub you mommy! That is the BEST alright! Here's to enjoying these special moments and breakthroughs! xx oo Anneliese

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...