Thursday, March 4, 2010

Creative Begging... ummm ... Fund Raising

I am sure there are very few people left in the Western Hemisphere who don't know that Eliza and I are walking in the March for Babies this year to raise money for the March of Dimes.

I could give you a long drawn out speech about the research the March of Dimes has funded and how it helped Eliza survive. But I'll just beg/fund raise in pictures:

Preemie lungs look like the bottom left picture compared to full term lungs seen in the bottom right picture:



In order to work (a/k/a "breathe" even with a ventilator) they need something called surfactant. Full term babies make surfactant on their own. Surfactant helps a baby's alveoli to open and stay open (a/k/a "breathe"). Babies born at an early gestation need artificial surfactant since their bodies are too young to make it on their own:



Thanks to research funded by the March of Dimes, some really smarty pants folks figured out how to make artificial surfactant. It is admittedly made from some very unappetizing things:

Curosurf is produced from minced pig lungs; Alveofact is a compound obtained from bovine lung lavage and Survanta is prepared with minced bovine lungs. (Right about now I am hoping that you are so thankful I haven't posted any photos of those images that you are reaching into your wallet).

Surfactant allows a little one pound girl who looked like this struggling to survive:



To grow into this happy little girl four years later:



So what do you day, how about donating a buck or two to Eliza Grace's March for Babies?

3 comments:

  1. Anne, I want to give but I can't get that link to work. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured it out by just using the link from the earlier post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Barb for the really generous donation! It is truly appreciated.

    And thanks for letting me know about the link problem :) I think I have it fixed!

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...