Friday, April 30, 2010

"Off the Bottle"

So the big news here at Casa Eliza is that while we were on Saba, Eliza's beloved Dr. Brown's bottles slowly faded away. There was no hoopla, no ceremony, no reward. Eliza just stopped asking for them.

This leaves me with two problems.

1. Between our NY apartment, our house on Saba, my office, my mother's house in NJ and my car I have 33 of these:



Trust me, when your kid's only source of nutrition is formula from a bottle you accumulate quite the collection.

2. The second problem is my beloved mother telling any and everyone who will listen that "Eliza is off the bottle." Now this doesn't sound all that bad, except for the fact that everyone and their mother is under the very, very, very, very, very mistaken belief that Eliza now eats steak au poivre with grilled asparagus.

So to be clear:

Eliza is "off the bottle" but drinks her formula from a cup or the box. Eliza is not "off the formula."

All of you well intentioned and kind folks can stop filling up my voicemail with congratulatory messages that Eliza now eats food. Hope does spring eternal, particularly for my mother, but please stop asking me how Eliza likes her steak cooked :)

This is the closest Eliza will get to steak (the bull not Peter!):

15 comments:

  1. It's not steak, but it's still a really big deal! Way to go Eliza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a big deal! Way to go! Solids will happen. I know they will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off the bottle is a big deal. Any improvement is worth a celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm simply amazed at how she just stopped asking for it---that's GREAT!! It's plenty okay that she still drinks her formula, off the bottle is truly an accomplishment. Do you think she can have a pep talk w/ Da'Gorgeouses?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, steak.

    Anyway, CONGRATS to Eliza! I know it's not steak, but it is a huge step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, ladies I will concede it a HUGE milestone ... just wish people would stop asking about the flipping steak!

    Next post will be my mother's view of the potty training "success" we have been having :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Eliza (and to you Anne!)

    I'm not going to ask any questions about steak but hopefully it's a little inching closer to a little solid nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how the whole eating thing is....Congratulations on the fact that she is off the bottle! I cant wait for the day that Kenny can learn to drink from a cup or straw. What a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne,

    Congrats to you and Eliza!
    Is your insurance paying for the formula and what formula she takes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon,

    Thanks! The corporate arm of UHC Oxford has been sufficiently twisted so that after not paying for the formula for a bit, they have once again decided to pay. Always a nice victory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual you crack me up. So glad she is off the bottle. I still contend that Suri Cruise was on hers till she was about 4 so it was always ok. It's a step - and I'm happy for you! The last thing you wrote with the picture of her and the cow in the back still has me giggling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! Anne that's amazing. It seems small, but when you are watching your kid drink from a cup or with a straw and you get tears in your eyes...I bet you never thought you'd see the day.

    Is she still drinking the same amount per day?

    And by the way, if I never need an attorney (or a bodyguard) to twist some arms - you are IT!! When the insurance company stops like that, are you getting them to reimburse you for the in-between time?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jo,

    I am more than happy to take my sword (pen) to any insurance company! Beastly people. The jury is out on whether they will reimburse me for the months they don't pay. I gather their theory is that in those months Eliza reached the 3d percentile and therefore wasn't eligible for her FTT diagnosis. Go figure.

    Eliza drink about 2/3 of what she drank from the bottle. There has been some "improvement" (I use this very loosely) in Eliza's food consumption, but she will now eat a few bites of banana, a thin slice of Amy's chocolate cake (made with tofu so theoretically "healthy") and these dreadful mini muffins the Board of Ed provides as part of the "snack" at her school. We have a doctor's appointment this month so I'll get a better sense of what she weighs. Eliza's pretty small but is healthy and had energy to spare to I'm not too alarmed ... hey who knew I'd ever say THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WTG sweetheart,now if Bella also follows you ,it wud make me all the more happy

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...