Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

I am thankful that I can watch my beautiful daughter sleep at night.

I am thankful for my 88 year old mother who just finished reading not one, but three, bedtime stories to my daughter.

I am thankful for my wonderful cousin Bonnie is making dinner for the three Richter girls tomorrow.

I am thankful that Eliza got to know her grandfather, even briefly, and remembers him still.

I am thankful for my family in Saba who welcomes us home each and every visit.

I am thankful for my partners at work, no matter how often it seems that I nag them (I don't really nag, it just seems like I do).

I am thankful that Eliza enjoys giving the Salvation Army lady money to help the needy and who understands, even at this young age, what it means to give to those less fortunate than us.

I am thankful for the hope and joy that Eliza brings to me every day.

I am thankful that Eliza last night for the first time took a bite of an orange and pronounced it "delectable."

I am thankful for the doctors who care for Eliza, but even more thankful that we only have had 24 visits so far this year.

I am thankful for Eliza's wonderful school that has helped her to grow and develop into an incredible child.

I am thankful to Eliza's music teacher who ignores the fact that Eliza can not carry a tune but encourages her any way.

I am thankful to Eliza's friends who are a truly delightful bunch of children.

I am thankful to Joyce for caring so very much for her Gracie.

I am thankful to Eliza's cousins who spend so much time with the littlest Richter, even though Eliza does not think of herself as anything but a "big girl."

And last, but not least, I am thankful for the people who helped to save my daughter's life, because without them I wouldn't have everything else for which I am thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

  1. And I, dear lady, am thankful that YOU & ELIZA always manage to bring a smile to my face. Happy Thanksgiving! Hugs & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving. Love this post that sums up the spirit of the holiday. Enjoy these times with your family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahhooo an orange. But did she have a bite the next day? Just saw this video and guess who I thought of...

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40469848#40469848

    CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to take a minute to say hello and introduce myself.
    I found your blog a few nights ago while searching for micro preemies.
    My gandbaby Tara Grace was born 10/1/09 14 weeks early weighing 15oz and was 10 inches long. She now weighs about 17lbs. I love to see other children who have overcome such obsticles and are older now. I look forward to next spring when Tara's trach is out and we can have some sort of if you will little a easier and less stressful life. I enjoy reading your stories and found the orange story adorable! Tara is very smart and I think these children have an above average iq due to the time that is spent nourishing them! Hope to read more soon!

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...