Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Rectangle

Thanks to the kindness and generosity of a good friend, I am the proud owner of one of these:



To you, it may be an iPAD, but in our house it is called "The Rectangle." As in, "Mama, can I have The Rectangle." Or, "Mama, that's not how you use The Rectangle." Or "Mama, let's ask The Rectangle." Clearly The Rectangle has god-like powers, more so than even the old Magic 8 Ball that those of you born before 1980 might be familiar with.

The Rectangle lets Eliza:

look up what dinosaurs we are going to see in the museum and find out more about them while we are standing right in front of them

practice her spelling

improve her fine motor function (she has blown through all 25 levels of Angry Birds and is on the second box of Cut the Rope)

color by numbers

play a piano

practice her Spanish (thank you Adriana)

watch her favorite shows when we travel

have her Mama read her a favorite book

What does The Rectangle do for Mama? Well just once in a while, in between all of the above, I can check my email :)

8 comments:

  1. Lucy loves the iPad too. Daphne so far has very little patience with it, except to watch videos of herself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I don't have THE RECTANGLE, but I have the mini-rectangle (iPod touch) and am amazed that Da'Gorgeouses have really mastered the skill of using it. Kids & technology, it's a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology is amazing. We only have a DSi to keep Elizabeth entertained which is great. The rectangle has so many possbilities and lets kids learn while the are playing. I am sure it is great for waiting rooms as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emery plays Egg Hunt on my ipod, but no way am I letting him touch my Angry Birds, which by the way - do you know when the next installment of Angry Birds is coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah I think there is a Valentine's Day one coming out/ If you haven't seen it yet, look fr Angry Birds Peace Treaty on YouTube. It is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! Email in its place, eh?
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter calls everything by its shape too. Thus going from the living room (with a plank wood floor) to the kitchen (with tiles) isn't going from the living room to the kitchen but going from the rectangles to the squares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mine. For fine motor skills you might like Drawing Pad and Dizzypad HD. Sketcher HD is the iPad version of etch a sketch and is great for hand eye coordination.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...