Monday, June 6, 2011

Central Park Challenge

Eliza is officially a road runner! This past weekend Eliza "ran" in the Central Park Challenge, a fund raiser for YAI, the organization that has provided Eliza with Early Intervention services, CPSE services and which runs her school, Gramercy.



Eliza ran on the team 2011 Best Friends Forever. Much like nailing Jello to a wall, it was not quite possible to get all of the team members in one photo.



Thanks to cousin Peter, we had some pretty spiffy shirts made up and a very nice banner. This of course maybe be the only moment in time when the banner was actually carried by the under 30 crowd. The team raised close to $2,000 for YAI. Not too shabby.



Eliza graduates from preschool in the coming weeks. Her graduation comes just a few weeks shy of her five year anniversary of leaving the NICU. Who knew that this little one pound baby would be able to run and play with the "big" kids, debate whether her favorite dinosaur is a Barosaurus, a Saltosaurus or an Apatosaurus and explain the difference between Reef, Tiger, Hammerhead and Lemon sharks.

Oh, and to the gentleman from the Department of Education who insisted Eliza was in the 3d percentile for gross motor function and intellectual function, kiss my backside.

9 comments:

  1. I teach 7th grade science and don't know the difference between those shark species. Guess that Dept. of Ed. guy would have no trouble ranking my skills.

    Your little girl is smart, capable and beautiful. That guy can kiss my backside too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    We are huge fans of Life with Eliza Grace over at Glam Media! We’re one of the top 10 online media companies in the US and would love for you to help pilot our new Family Blogging Community, slated to launch in the coming months.

    If you’re interested in making valuable connections with Moms like you, please contact me about joining this community we’re building.

    Cheers,

    Sandy Hayashi
    Community Partners Editor
    Glam Media
    sandyh@glam.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, heh. First of all, I love the picture of her best friends :) Second, I can hear you telling him to kiss your backside. I'm loling :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That guy clearly can't see all of Eliza's awesome strong points, but keep in mind that in some school districts all but the most obviously low functioning kids are judged to be just fine in order to save money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon,

    The gentleman's proposal, as opposed that proposed by Eliza's neuro-psychologist and I (and everyone else for that matter) would have cost the DOE far more money than our proposal and would have placed her in an inappropriate and far more restrictive environment. At the end of the morning though, he was nicely convinced to provide the environment and services I wanted so it all worked out well. And he can still kiss my backside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh her and Elizabeth would be such good friends. As per Elizabeth 'Eliza and me would like to be friends, my favourite dinosaur is a t-rex'.
    It was Elizabeth who pointed out your blog and asked to see the girl who likes dinos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is not only beautiful and smart but she is growing on a solid rock of love and friendship which always has proven to be the best character & strength builder there is... Ah, and with regards to this dude that can't see beyond his glasses and just because I have high regard for my buttox, I'll introduce him to my friend "Dick"!

    RS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the blog keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the "Kiss my backside" comment. My first time reading your blog and I LOVE IT!! Thanks for everything you do, Natty's mom, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...