Sunday, September 11, 2011

Welcome to Kindergarten!

It's official.  Eliza is a Kindergartner! Eliza was none too pleased having to wake up an hour earlier than she did for preschool, but once she realized she got to wear her new backpack and meet her new friends, she was pretty excited.


Each morning for preschool, our building super and good friend, Zeljko, waits with us for Eliza's bus.  Since we were walking to school the first couple of days, she got a good luck hug and kiss from her buddy, who did not spill his Starbucks Vente coffee even as Eliza barreled into him!


Eliza's enthusiasm was pretty apparent as she ran down the street (diligently avoiding the cracks and lines since surely she does not want to break her mother's back or spine!).


Eliza is pretty good about playing freeze tag, so I didn't have to worry about her getting too far ahead!


Eliza had been to visit her school for orientation earlier, but the century old building looked grand in the morning sunlight.  She was so excited to see her new "big girl" school as we reached the corner.


Thanks to the confidence that Eliza gained in her two years at Gramercy School she was happy to enter her new classroom, found her coat hook in the closet and her cubby to store her supplies, introduced herself to her two teachers and her aide and cheerily announced to her classmates "I'm Eliza Grace and I am happy to meet you!"  She gave me a kiss good-bye and said she would see me after school.


Who would have thought that my tiny 1 pound 4 ounce baby, who was given a poor chance of survival, who overcame so much adversity in the NICU, who was delayed in achieving every milestone a baby and child should reach, would be going to school with her typical peers, with confidence and a smile on her face.

A whole new adventure begins.

15 comments:

  1. Great pictures. Great child. Great mommy. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post about your beautiful girl. I just love her cheerful attitude. She makes me smile every time I visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story! Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy that the two of you are doing so great!!!
    Alice Antonovsky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! So much better than Gavin's first day of Kindergarten, with his apprehensive last look back at me, and me fighting back tears as I lef the building. Such a monumentous occasion for our preemies! "Typical" parents don't realize how far out of reach this day seemed when we were in the NICU.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Especially love the picture of her running down the sidewalk! I hope she has a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a milestone. She is like Elizabeth in that she does not look back only forward to see what new adventures are ahead.
    Wishing her a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Congratulations to you both. Eliza looks so enthusiastic, I hope she had a wonderful time. It is amazing to see our children, once so tiny and vulnerable, do these at once ordinary and extraordinary things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you decided to send her to public school. Luckily you are zoned to a great school! I am sure she is loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness...she looks amazing. She is so beautiful Anne. I am so glad she was so happy and excited. It looks like she had an amazing first day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say this is absolutely beautiful. I was so moved that I wish I could give Eliza a hug before school. By the end of it, I actually had a tear in my eye. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe how long her hair is. I wan't to scream at them to not grow up anymore.

    Sidenote -why is Eliza always more stylish than me?

    Side-side note - has eating improved any?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi
    My name is Jenna and i came across your site. Eliza is such a happy little girl, with a very pretty smile. That's so exciting that is now in Kindergarten. I bet she is making lots of new friends. I love how she greeted her class mates, how cute. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, 12 other diagnosis and developmental delays. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...