Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin Sail

While New York City may not conjure up images of your traditional Trick-or-Treating, the city does have the annual Pumpkin Sail... bet your 'burb doesn't have this:



Way better than a scare crow on the front lawn if you ask me!

So what is a Pumpkin Sail?

Well first you need a couple of teenagers willing to don hip-waders who load the pumpkins onto rafts and light the candles:


Why neither kid is wearing a sweater in 50 degree weather is beyond me and I have no explanation for the kid in the sleeveless T-shirt.

The pumpkins are brought to the Harlem Meer by the children mother's who have done their best to carve the pumpkins.  Some were pretty elaborate, even complete with pumpkin headdresses:


Eliza's My pumpkin was more of a purist pumpkin and can be seen at the far right:



Then you need a Witch rowing a kayak.  This is a critical role. Without the Witch, there is no sailing.  We were fortunate to have a happy Witch:


And when the sun sets, off goes the Witch, with her pumpkin parade in tow:





But really the best part of the whole affair are the smiles:






Of course, no event is complete without a little marital discord between Eliza and Otto, because you know this face says: "Dude if you keep messing up this photo I am so not marrying you."




And if you are still wondering what Eliza's is this Halloween, why she the happiest little goldfish in the pond!




10 comments:

  1. Awesome! I want one in our little town. And my children would covet that costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Nope, I can honestly say we don't do anything that cool here in these parts. But then again, we got to help name a cow on Sunday so I think we're in different leagues.

    I love her costume :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This 'Pumpkin Sail' was reported on CNN: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-693675
    In the photo section, number 7 is a video of a witch playing a musical saw. Did you see her? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! Your baby is so adorable as a goldfish. Orange is her color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this new? I don't remember this when I lived in the city. Love her costume - totally divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eliza looks so pretty in her costume!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an wonderful idea.. and from the looks of the crowd it is well enjoyed..Love the goldfish costume.. how neat.
    Wendy Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great event--just when I thought I'd seen every Autumn activity, this one really impressed me. Great photos--I felt like I was there!

    And Eliza? Just looking at her smiling face in that goldfish costume makes me want to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful costume and a great tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is SO cool. I love it! And I love her costume. Eliza is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...