Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Lost Tooth

Eliza lost her first tooth today!  

It was hanging on for dear life for a few days now, but today in her after school sports class it finally fell out!



And then it was lost.  It seems that the person (who I shall refer to as the Tooth-Fairy-Non-Believer or TFNB for short) who runs her after school sports class thought the appropriate thing to do was to throw out the tooth.  Seriously.  TFNB, who once lectured me on the risks of childhood obesity (yes, he knows who Eliza is) clearly spends more time at the gym than reading up on childhood rituals.

Eliza accepted my explanation that the all knowing Tooth Fairy had already collected her tooth, but that she still needed to write a note to the Tooth Fairy so the Tooth Fairy would know under which pillow in New York City to leave some money.



The good news is that my kid is a cheapskate and only thinks a tooth is worth 8 quarters!  WooHoo for our family budget!  But to make up for the actually lost tooth, the Tooth Fairy may be sending Eliza some Pokemon swag.



This whole lost tooth thing is clearly more bothersome to me than Eliza.  Let's face it, Eliza and I have missed quite a few typical "firsts."  First held Eliza, not seconds after her birth, but a month late while she was on a ventilator.  First bath?  Not in that cute tub someone gave me at my baby shower, but in a hospital basin when she was 2 months old.  Forget breast feeding.  I first "fed" Eliza by holding a syringe of breast milk into her NG tube.  No big Christening or First Birthday party for us, thanks to crappy lungs and RSV.  The list just goes on.

I just wanted one thing to be a typical, boring old milestone.  

But no, TFNB had to take that away. 

Maybe I'll get lucky and find out he doesn't floss and loses his teeth by the time he is 30.

10 comments:

  1. Oh man - that makes my blood boil How can someone who works with kids think it's ok to throw out the first baby tooth? Did you file a complaint? Even if you DON'T approve of the Tooth Fairy. I would be so enraged. In fact, I am enraged just reading your story. That said, Eliza continues to be adorable. Love these pics and the note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that happened. Too many firsts missed.

    But she is a beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry, this guy is an ass. What kind of monster throws away a child's tooth? Oh, right, the kind who thinks Eliza is at risk for obesity, or who won't give her a break to rest. I hope he gets gum disease. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are still a lot of firsts for you. First day at big girl school, first crush, first kiss, first date. The list goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should make that guy read this post. Seriously. Send a link or print out a hard copy. Tell him, "I thought you'd like to know that you made a cameo appearance on our widely-read blog."

    Eliza sounds like she's being a great sport (no pun intended). Just make sure TFNB is no where near when the second tooth starts to wiggle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT? Who is this TFNB? You tell him we may not be in Poland, but you know a pedi dentist who has now been provoked!!

    First tooth, last tooth...you don't throw away a kid's tooth or anything else for that matter.

    But congrats on sweet Eliza losing that first tooth...from my view it looks like it's Tooth #O!

    And there will be the last baby tooth she will lose in a few years! Be sure to hold on to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! (Sorry you were not able to cherish the first tooth)!

    She looks adorable and hopefully you can celebrate her 2nd tooth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I think you should let TFNB know how much it upset you - because of the lost firsts, this one was important to you. He should know how his insensitivity meant in the bigger picture. Sure, it was just a tooth to him, but to you, it was much more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a beautiful daughter. I just came across your blog. I am a newly single mother of a 5 1/2 daughter. Looking for single parent blogs like my own :)


    http://sistersouls.typepad.com/my-blog/

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's still cute no matter what so you don't have to worry about her at all. For what it's worth, we at the scottsdale dentist clinic are so happy looking at her right now. Adorable kid!

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...