Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What I Did On Eliza's Summer Vacation

Eliza is pretty fascinated with art in all of its mediums, acrylics, water colors, oils, ceramics, pastels, fabrics and plain old crayons when nothing else is on hand.  

Of late she has been on an origami kick.  Or, more accurately, she has forced me to make origami animals, flowers, cups, bowls, boats ... the list is endless.  Since Eliza's fine motor function is not up to origami just yet, yours truly gets to make them and Eliza decorates them (not that my fine motor function is much better)..

I have to say that when I read about making origami it sounded like it would be this relaxing zen-like experience and that I would suddenly want to burn sage incense and chant a bit.  Not so much.

What I have learned is that (a) construction paper sucks for origami and (b) I cannot read Japanese instructions.   So after some failed attempts at construction paper-indecipherable-instruction origami making, Eliza and I headed off to the craft store to get some proper paper and some instructions in English.  The English instructions were about as useful as the Japanese instructions since you have to rely on a set of arrows and squiggles and trial and error.  

But we had some success!

I will not force you to guess what these are.

Tulip:

Cat:


Penguin:


Cup:


Rabbit:


Horse:


Carp:


Pelican:


Much to Eliza's dismay (and my relief) we were not able to find instructions for Pokemon origami.  But I am sure Eliza will hunt those down if I ever let her surf the internet.

Oh and if you've made it this far through this post, please hit the "vote" button for the Top 25 NY Mom Blogs 2012 over there on the upper right.  All this origami making deserves at least some moral support :)


4 comments:

  1. I think those are great! (and a fun craft to do together) Legos are great for fine motor skill building by the way--and now they have those pretty sets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job ladies! Even though I'm a high school band director I teach one class in the fall semester called Art Humanities. Two years ago I thought it would be fun to have my class do Orgami. I was all excited for them as they had enjoyed finger painting, water colors and play dough. Um, not so much. It was laughing hysterically (on the inside) watching a class of 30 high schoolers (including some football players) getting beyond frustrated and almost throwing 3-year-old temper tantrums ove the paper not doing what it was supposed, the frogs looking like beetle dung and more. It was fun for me!!! LOL Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've left a comment like 3 times from my phone and it keeps disappearing into the dead zone.

    I seem to remember a time when you went to a school that sported a dead goldfish/carp.... I suggest putting x's in the eyes of the origami carp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, you don't want to know how many goldfish I've killed off this summer. The lone survivor is known as "Tenacious F" :)

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...