Saturday, October 13, 2012

Eliza's Trip to China -

--- Town.  Let's face it. Chinatown is "almost" like going to China, but without the long commute.  What brought us to Chinatown was a little known "cultural" experience called Chinatown Fair.  Chinatown Fair is home to a random assortment of arcade games and pinball games of my teenage years (back before Reagan was president).  Think of it as Chuckee Cheese with an edge to it.  Normally you can see the "World Famous Tic-Tac-Toe Chicken" but she was home for the night.  I've tried to beat the Tic-Tac-Toe Chicken many times over the years and have never beat the chicken.  To my knowledge no human ever has.




Eliza wasn't too thrilled with the noise level, but once she realized she could play Wheel of Fortune and an electronic version of Roulette she was hooked, because man it is all about how many tickets you can collect!


I think Eliza has a bit of affinity for the Vegas style games and managed to hit the jackpot not once but twice.  Since the lottery isn't working out for us as savings plan, I'm thinking a quick trip to Las Vegas with Eliza may be in order.

Eliza also got to take a trip to the Courthouses which basically abut Chinatown in lower Manhattan.  Eliza spends a lot of time in my office with me, but thinks of it as "Patti's House,"  Patti being my secretary and the first face you see when you arrive.  Despite trying to convince Eliza that Patti does not live on Wall Street in our office  there is no changing her mind. Eliza also seems to think that what I do at Patti's House is not actual work, since why would I be working if I was merely visiting Patti.  

Trying to explain what a lawyer does to a 6 year old is not the easiest thing to do.  Really, do I point out that people can't agree on what they thought they actually had agreed to in that thing called a contract so they sue each other, or they hate their old lawyer so much they want to sue him.  So I figured I would take the moral high road and take Eliza to the Courthouses and explain that "lawyers help people when they disagree and this is where the judge decides who is right (or who had a better lawyer)."

I don't think she was impressed:




But she did enjoy the fountain  and sculpture, Triumph of the Human Spirit by Lorenzo Pace (and the skateboarders were an added bonus):






And no trip to Chinatown is complete without a trip to a fish market.


Where one of Eliza's best buddies, Archie, was able to bring home a live eel, much to the dismay of his parents.  The eel was set free the next day in the East River, so no animals were harmed in the making of this adventure.

The city,  It's a great place for a kid,


7 comments:

  1. What a great adventure! How wonderful to live in a city with so many opportunities. Love the pictures, and I will definitely be using your explanation when sam asks about lawyers... which he will eventually since he seems to ask about EVERYTHING. Looks like such a fun day. I wish we lived closer. I think our family would enjoy hanging out with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree the City is a great place to teach children about life, people and eels. Glad Eliza had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Eliza's shoes and would like to know if they come in grown up sizes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb, I think we would have a ball! There must be some place to meet in the middle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lara, I think the eel was none to happy about either his capture or his release :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful pictures of what looks like a wonderful day! I have to admit- your title sucked me in and got me all excited. I do research in Africa and travel internationally for conferences, so I thought I would be reading something to help me know when the right time to travel abroad with my daughter will be. But, your post was great and showed me there are lots of ways to keep Charlotte's life "international," even if we aren't heading out with our passports yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the misleading post topic I have family that live in Beijing and from what I hear you definitely want to avoid the winter there. As to Africa, friends who have been there have tried to be there for the "Big 5" migration season which I think is late summer early fall.

    Eliza and I travel a good bit and it really is wonderful seeing places through her eyes.

    Sorry I didn't have more travel tips!

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...