Monday, November 5, 2007

Progress?


Yesterday and again today Eliza actually took a spoon with some baby food and yogurt on it and put it in her mouth ... voluntarily ... not once, but three or four times. Both her OT and I were quite surprised today since frankly I thought yesterday's event was a fluke. She has also a few times now stuck her hand in her yogurt or puree and then licked her fingers. Oddly she also does this with the jar of Aquaphor when I am dressing her after her bath. I can only hope there's nothing toxic in this stuff since a couple of times she got her fingers in her mouth before I could stop her! There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to what goes in her mouth and what she refuses to try. Today she also took 3 ounces from her bottle instead of the two ounces she has been taking. Overall I'd say Eliza made some splendid progress.

We made a short trip to the NCCU today (when I say short, I mean short, it's about 100 yards away) to visit a new friend and got to see a few of Eliza's nurses and one of her doctors. It's always a treat to see these folks since they took such very, very good care of Eliza. It's also reassuring to see the NCCU doctors and nurses because they really can put her progress in perspective for me when I get too focused on things she can't do yet.

So tonight I'm hoping for another spoonful or two at dinner ... hopefully a puree and not Aquaphor!

3 comments:

  1. Oh man I LOVE it. GO ELIZA, GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you contact whoever makes Aquafor to ask them how many calories is in it? Hopefully it being greasy and all it rivals MCT oil...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure the worst thing the Aquaphor can do is help with the constipation ... now the lavander scented Johnson's Baby Lotion she's been dipping into is a whole other story!

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...