Sunday, November 11, 2007

The New Plan

The latest plan to decipher Eliza's eating problem is to have her undergo an endoscopy on Tuesday with a biopsy to see if that can resolve, or at least rule out, any issues with her stomach that may be causing her eating problems. If all is well there, then a trial run with an NG tube is the next step. If she gains weight with the additional calories from the NG tube feeds then we'll discuss further a g-tube. If she does not gain any weight with the addition of the NG tube feeds, then some more detective work will be needed to figure out this weight gain problem. If it appears that the problem is entirely behavioral, then we'll revisit her current feeding therapy to see if there is something else/different that can be done.

We have to get to the hospital fairly early on Tuesday since thankfully they don't keep the smaller babies waiting too long (or so they say). Of course, with my luck, this will be the first day that Eliza ever wakes up hungry.

I know I'm tired of writing about eating/feeding or lack thereof and I am sure everyone is getting tired of reading about it! I hope that someday soon I will never have to write about this again.... hey a girl can hope, right?

4 comments:

  1. None of us get tired of reading about feeding problems, so please feel free to CONTINUE to write about them. We're all dealing with one version or another of them. Even full-term parents face SOME sort of problem relating to food, although I would DIE for a kid who just didn't like the taste of turnip greens and spinach. Nevertheless, I hope this endoscopy tomorrow AT LEAST brings to you some sort of light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. At least you know that regardless of what is coming, you will have some answers soon and hopefully be on a road of weight gain and relaxing days with your daughter. This is what I hope for you...and for me, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the tests tomorrow brings you to a conclusion and plan for Eliza.
    I bet it feels like all you do is talk about her eating, but at home when it's just the two of you, I bet it's a circus of toys and laughter!
    I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow and hope it brings answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts and prayers are with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck tomorrow, guys! We'll be thinking about you and are hopeful that all will go smoothly and that you'll get some answers.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...