Thursday, May 21, 2009

On Time

Is this a foreign concept to people? Do people who seemingly live in the same time zone, think that we will seriously entertain their claims that the west side of Manhattan is in a different time zone than the east side of the same barely-two-mile-wide-island?

Why is this vexing me you ask? I'll be happy to tell you why.

If you have not yet gathered, Eliza goes to therapy. Eliza's goes to a lot of freaking therapy. About 20 hours of therapy a week. With the travel time to and from therapy this is about 30 hours a week. In France this would be a full time job. We are on time for our therapy. Always. Really. Have never been late. Truly. ON TIME.

One of Eliza's therapies is a group feeding therapy. The operative word being GROUP. This means we are reliant upon 5 other parents/caregivers in the GROUP to attend on time. ON TIME. Not 10 minutes late. Not 15 minutes late. Why are these kids in group feeding therapy? Because they have sensory issues that impair their ability to eat. What else do kids with sensory issues suffer from? Quiz time here ... an inability to organize their world, an inability that worsens when their world does not flow in the same pattern they are used to.

What does this mean for Eliza? Well it means that Eliza has had unadulterated-call-out-the-doctor-and-the-prescription-medication-shit-fit each and every time these other parents/caregivers have not been on time thereby delaying the GROUP therapy. Great.

So the next time you as a parent, doctor, therapist, nurse, faith-healer, medicine man, guru, social worker, teacher think that 10 minutes or 15 minutes is not a "big deal" to make my kid wait, you spend one freaking day in my child's skin and then you tell me how much those minutes changed your day. I can assure you that you will not like it.

Oh, and my solution to the tardiness of my fine comrades? We are going to show up 15minutes after the allegedly scheduled start time just so we are now there, effectively ON TIME.

3 comments:

  1. I personally would rather be 30 minutes early for my doctor appointments....but they still make me wait for an hour or two....can't figure that out!!!
    Thank God she has you in her life!!!
    Love to you both.
    Always,
    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  2. The high school where I teach has parent/teacher conferences in the fall and enrollment conferences in February. I scheduled 17 conferences with parents by phone and 5 of them completely blew off the appointments without calling, emailing, apology, etc. If we as teachers didn't show up we'd be royally reamed by the parents but apparently it's ok for them to blow us off. So I guess what I'm saying is in a way I feel your pain! By the way - Miss Eliza looks like she may be growing a bit? :) Hang in there awesome mom!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right! I am pretty sure the same parents/caregivers that notoriously late would be the first ones to complain if they had to wait. We'll see about this next week since I have told the therapists that we are not arriving until 5 minutes passed the alleged "start" time.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...