Tuesday, June 9, 2009

When Your Child Can't Take Meds Orally ...

Eliza had nasty, nasty bronchitis. Poor Boo.

Yesterday the pediatrician prescribed Zithromax orally for Eliza. I had my doubts but was assured that it was cherry flavored and would mix well with her formula. Why I believed this is beyond me. I even mixed it with Coke and I almost puked.

So here is today's plan:

1. Go to office leaving very sick child with nanny.

2. Feel guilty for doing so.

3. Have car service pick up nanny and very sick child at 2pm and go to the first pharmacy where pharmacist will bring the injectable antibiotic and EMLA cream to the car.

4. Have car service take nanny and Eliza to second pharmacy to get lidocaine solution to mix with injectable antibiotic since pharmacy number one does not have this.

5. Spend time ruminating that I should have just gone to pharmacy number two for everything.

6. Have car go from Upper Eastside to Wall Street to pick up guilt ridden mother.

7. Have car go from Wall Street to West Village to doctor's office.

8. Wait in car for doctor (not a real timely office).

9. Use time in car to apply EMLA cream to child's thighs (since with my luck the doctor will inject her on the side with no EMLA cream).

10. Bring sick child and antibiotic and lidocaine solutions into doctor; wait for doctor to mix solution into injectable form.

11. Hold down child (who by now is inconsolable) for doctor to give her injection, since heaven forbid the nurse should volunteer for this duty.

12. Pay $30 co pay for this adventure (on top of yesterday's co pay).

13. Get in car service and head back to Upper Eastside.

14. Pay car service $120 for this adventure three hour cruise.

15. Drink wine (which will have to be cheap wine since I just wasted $150 on cars and co pays).


Did I mentioned it is pouring rain here today?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Anne, I'm sorry Eliza's sick and the oral meds were such trouble. I'm praying the shots do the trick & she feels better soon!

    Hugs & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne
    Thanks for the Benecalorie!
    I loved your note. =)

    Its time like this I am so thankful Tristan has a G-tube. No fuss with medications.

    I hate that you had to go through all that. Take a sip of wine for me!

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...