Thursday, July 9, 2009

MRI

As many of you know, Eliza is having a brain MRI this Saturday to see what is causing this sudden right sided facial weakness. Now while I have a pretty good idea of how a pediatric MRI would "work," having had a few adult MRIs myself, I just couldn't help but head to Google Images for a few snaphots.

To my huge surprise there are children who happily lay there for the MRI while their mother (who is wearing a suit!) looks on lovingly, without a trace of angst on her face:



In fact the MRI is SO MUCH FUN, that other kids line up for the darn thing:



I suspect however that Miss Eliza will not be one of the kids screaming "pick me! pick me!" to the MRI Technician. Instead Eliza's day will look something like this:





A fun day to be had by all!

10 comments:

  1. I just spit wine out (a crime, I know) because I am laughing so hard. That is a great pictorial. I do not envy you, when Libbie had her CT scan a few weeks ago, we actually had to strap her down. What fun!

    Seriously, I will say some prayers that all goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw Libbie's poor head! What a faberge egg. Eliza had a CT scan when she was about 15 months and I swear the guy used duct tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best for Saturday..

    Love Leyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those first pictures are so funny! I've got to take babies into MRI's sometimes, and I hate it.

    Try not to worry too much, Miss Eliza won't remember a thing about it. With toddlers they almost have to put them to sleep in order to get them to stay still with all of that darn banging.

    We'll be thinking of you guys, and praying that an answer can be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cora, do the parents often get all dolled up in their best business attire for the MRIs? I was thinking shorts and a T-shirt would suffice!

    I do suspect that Eliza will need sedation just to get the IV to give her the sedation for the MRI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Leyla! Hopefully we'll meet you at the park soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm laughing myself silly! I'm thinking of you guys. Take Valium - yes, I mean for you

    I love the kids just hanging out on the MRI machine. That's my idea of fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If that is the case....she will look just like Grace. :0) Seriously...I can't see Gracie laying still for one of those...ever!

    Good luck...will be thinking of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bree gets to have an MRI soon due to some jittery movements and poor head shape development....I am right there with ya...I don't plan on dressin up in my "best" for her MRI...capri's, t shirt and flip flops will be my attire!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not know if this is true everywhere (like if there is a technical reason for it) but at "my" children's hospital the MRI place is COLD. Maybe wear a snow suit.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...