Wednesday, January 13, 2010

FIFTY/FIVE-OH/50/HALF A HUNDRED/TEN TIMES FIVE


Eliza has been home from the NICU exactly 1300 days and (drum roll please) last night she slept through the night for the fiftieth time! That is 50 people!

This is VERY exciting news to me, the woman who has not slept through the night in 1250 of the past 1300 nights.

Actually, if you add in the 100 nights in the NICU, that makes 1350 sleep disturbed nights (note to those people who told me how "lucky" I was that Eliza was in the NICU since I didn't have to wake up at night for her: parents of kids in the NICU do not sleep through the night).

And if you add in the 28 nights I was in the hospital before Eliza was born, that makes 1378 nights out of the last 1428 nights that I have not slept through the night.

Now that I am doing this math, I am not really certain there is much to celebrate here :)

8 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, I know it is gauche to be the first comment on your own post, but if anyone thought tonight was going to be magic 51, sadly you were mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck no! What would be the point of celebrating? She looks so grown up in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's SO worth celebrating! (says the mom whose 5 yr old has slept through twice in 3 yrs and an 11 mo old that's yet to do it). I'm starting to wonder if I'm the problem! Congrats on the well deserved sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hooo!!!! That is amazing! Celebrate away... :)

    I too heard the NICU comment too...yeah, sleeping through the night doesn't happen. Especially when they call you needing approval to give a blood transfusion, to tell you their belly is distended and could possibly be NEC, etc etc. Those are the two that stand out in my mind.

    Maybe tomorrow will be 51!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I celebrate every night that they sleep through--because the ones they don't can be brutal! I thought I was the only one who did this kind of math! Here's hoping nights 51, 52 and 53 are right around the corner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Argh. I really, really hope that night number 51 rolls around soon.

    Those people who tell you how "lucky" you are to have undisturbed sleep, grrr. I got that too and it annoyed me every time. Ditto how I was spared the pain of labour. Ditto how lucky I was not to have stretch marks.

    Hope that you get another unbroken nights sleep soon. Go Eliza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anne, it's nice to meet you and thanks for your comment on the reflux issue. Hope you are getting some good rest. I got vomited on at 4am last night/morning. But overall, the GI changes have been positive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget that NICU mothers also get to wake every 3hrs to pump milk for their babies.
    I feel your pain with the poor sleep habits as they are pretty inconsistent here as well. I like to blame the high doses of caffiene that our children were given. I find for myself that Melatonin is helping me get more sleep, I still hear Elizabeth but I can fall asleep quicker once I have settled her. I have threatened to try it on her but so far have not been that desparate.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...