Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pillow Fights and Bad Hair Day

Eliza is quite content to spend a rainy day pillow fighting. Her hair of course doesn't take well to the pillows:







Eliza's latest fashion statement is her "birthday cake" hat. Yup, we even wear this outdoors. Quite sporty, don't you think?



As you can see though, Eliza's right sided facial weakness is still apparent, particularly when Eliza is laughing, crying or just plain tired:






Go figure. It is getting better, but the rate of continued improvement seems to have slowed.

I have Eliza's annual IEP next week. Always a fun time! I am hoping it goes smoothly. I have been quite lucky so far and not had any real difficulty gettin the services Eliza needs. At this meeting we will hopefully just continue Eliza's current speech, OT and PT, add two more outside speech sessions to work on her oral motor skills and have a dedicated one to one aide assigned to Eliza for school to primarily assist at lunch and snack time.

5 comments:

  1. That sure is one cute little girl! Love the birthday cake hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever need a second opinion from someone in the special education system let me know. Although we're not in the same state and thus, services differ, I'd still be glad to give you my take on things...
    I spent my children's nap times this weekend writing IEPs for my students :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the offer of help in deciphering the mysteries of the IEP! I have been beyond lucky in the past with Eliza's EI coordinator who was delight and who I now consider a friend. I never had to do more than ask for a service or an additional day of one therapy or another, and the paperwork was done without a hitch. I was spoiled.

    Moving to CPSE wasn't too bad, but it has been more difficult getting additional services (like the one to one aid now that it is apparent that none of the three aides already in Eliza's class of 12 can really address her feeding issues). Hopefully this will be resolved next Monday...if not you'll be hearing from me next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne! I know your pretty Eliza is past EI, but I noticed you are also in NYS and we have the same health insurance....I'd love to pick your brain about how to go about my Daphne's feeding issues. I called the EI service coordinator first thing today, and from the sound of it, the process could take forever. And Sam the PT hasn't even submitted his report yet. Ugh ugh. Good luck with the IEP.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...