Sunday, February 14, 2010

"I'm OK!!!"

You've heard of those birds that fly straight into windows without even batting a little bird eye?



Eliza is trying to join the flock.

Yesterday we were the American Museum of Natural History, a fun place where we go almost every week.




The newest wing is the Rose Center for Earth and Space. There is a LOT of glass.



Even the gift shop has spotlessly clean glass walls. So clean that a certain bat out of hell almost-four-year-old didn't quite see the window as she ran for joy at the prospect of a day at the museum. Eliza slammed into the glass wall so hard it shook and there were audible gasps from everyone within 100 feet.

Not being one to launch into unnecessary hysterics, I paused and waited for Eliza's reaction as she bounced off the glass. She grabbed her face and started screaming "I hurt!, I hurt!" I did a quick triage and saw no red marks on her forehead, accounted for all of her pearly whites, checked her face and head for bleeding and checked her mouth for a split lip. All was well. Until:



Yup, that tiny nose turned into a gushing geyser of blood. But calm and some gentle pressure and an entire package of wipes prevailed and about ten minutes later Eliza was back to her old self, running headlong to the elephants yelling "I'm OK. I'm OK!"

Things got a kind of messy an hour or two later when Eliza let out a sinus clearing sneeze, which pretty well emptied the Hall of Biodiversity from onlookers, but that too was cleared up with only a handful of wipes. I was concerned that she might have broken her nose, but given the lack of swelling, the fact that she let me touch it and her pretty focused digging for boogers later that evening, I am assured by medical professionals in the know that it is very, very doubtful anything is broken. And here is the proof that the nose is just dandy:

10 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that she can tell you she hurts and that she's okay more than I am about her surviving with relatively little injury. How pathetic is that?

    Glad she's OK! She looks so much older in that picture. Jeesh. What happened to our babies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowch. Glad she's ok, even more glad that the glass held (having seen the end result of THAT first-hand, and it ain't pretty).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully the museum windows are about a half inch thick ... I suspect just to avoid these accidents from turning really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know where my baby has gone :( She is adorable, but the time has simply escaped me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I wish you guys lived closer so Becca and Eliza could hang out! We were at the grandparents' this weekend and every bump on the head drew gasps...but no reaction from Becca. I love our tough girls. And your illustrations. Nice geyser. :)

    Oh, and I also love the new header picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though it was about an accident, I enjoyed reading that post. Especially since there were no lasting effects of the event. Gosh, that's scary. She's one tough little girl. (But you already knew that)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! Glad she was OK, with just a story to tell. We thought of going to the museum last week too, but assumed it would be too crowded. Lucy has been wanting to go to "outer space."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Anne,

    Sorry to hear Eliza got hurt but it is good that she is doing o.k.
    I have a request for you. I am not from USA so lot of things I don't know about USA. I have a daughter who is very close to Eliza's age and she will be four in June. She will be going to PRE-K this year. She is a girl with special needs so we have to place IEP for her. I have some of the questions that I need some help with. Is this o.k to give your phone number so I can talk to you. You seem very helpful so I thought I would ask you.

    Thank you.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear K,

    Thank you for your kind words. I would be more than happy to share my experience with you regarding the IEP process. Feel free to email me at elizagracesmom@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Anne! It's very sweet of you to give your e-mail address.
    I will e-mail you soon.

    K.

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...