Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Busted

When we were on Saba in March and April, Eliza quietly stopped using her bottle and started to exclusively drink her formula from the box it comes in:



or from one of her valveless sippy cups:



In the evenings Eliza gets a couple of medications that I was able to mix in her formula in her bottle. They are luckily tasteless, or at least mix well with the yummy vanilla and chocolate flavors offered by the kind folks at Nestle Nutrition.

Since giving up the bottle I would mix the medications into a cup of formula and give Eliza her formula in a cup at night. This worked well for a couple of weeks.

Then Eliza started insisting on having her formula in the box at night. So I would poke the hole for the straw, pour out about an ounce of formula, make the hole slightly larger so I could place a medication syringe in the hole and use the syringe as a sort of funnel to get the medications in the box. This method worked well for about a week.

Until tonight.

Eliza took the box of formula I had "altered" (Eliza would perhaps use a slightly stronger word, like "poisoned" or "tainted") and handed it back to me, opened the fridge, got a new box of the identical formula and said: "I want this one."

Huh.

So I told her to go in the living room and that I would bring it to her (giving me time to "alter" this box). No dice at all. She smiled very politely and said "I'll wait here for it, thank you."

I am pretty sure I am totally busted.

At least she said "thank you."

14 comments:

  1. Ohhh mannn! BUSTED! Now what to do??

    ReplyDelete
  2. My that young girl has manners! And to so kindly wait for it too! LOL!! Hugs & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really impressed with the amazing sentence structure! And why is it that our kids just know? Maybe you can inject it into sprinkles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying not to laugh. I mean, if you're laughing, I'm laughing with you. If you're not, I'm quietly sniggering in the corner so you won't notice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart cookie, huh?

    Just how small is this straw hole? Can you use those pointy 1.5ml syringes? Those are my favorite, we got a huge bag of them from the PICU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As my grandfather would have said, 'no flies on that girl' and what lovely manners too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very intelligent and well-mannered, what more could a mom ask for in a daughter? That Eliza, she's a special one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sleep feeding with a bottle containing meds? But, I bet you considered that and she is a light sleeper or something. Well, one step forward and two steps back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara ... you can laugh out loud, I sure did!

    I am trying to outwit her today.

    This morning I poked a small hole in the box and got her medication in. So tonight I will take the "new" box from the fridge, give it a gentle shake while covering the hole and pop the straw in while she is watching.

    I give this a 50-50 shot of working.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time to explain the need for the meds?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been trying to explain the need for meds for well over a year with no luck. Eliza can't tolerate the taste/texture in her mouth at all (perhaps some blame for this can be laid at the feet of the 800 doctors who assured me that it was just fine to squirt all sorts of medication in her mouth as an infant). So while Eliza might understand the "concept" of medication she is pretty far from understanding the practical aspects of medications.

    It has taken a long time for Eliza to be able to go to the doctor without having a total meltdown. She is now somewhat tolerant of a doctor's office so long as no one tries to look in her ears.

    The good news is that my efforts from this morning paid off :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! :) Noah went through a phase where he didn't want any "powders" (duocal) in his food. The child has never is his life has food without powder in it, but when he noticed me doing it then suddenly said food was unable to be consumed. I'm able to sneak it fairly well, but I do have to be careful that I don't get caught putting the powder in. When he was taking Zantac in his formula he protested, but he doesn't seem to mind her current formula cocktail. Any progress?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily, I had a few shining moments of success by putting her meds in the formula bos when she was at school and then putting the box back in the case in the fridge ...then she noticed the hole was already poked open ... not good. Searching for Plan D now :)

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...