Monday, May 10, 2010

Blah, blah, blah

Eliza and I had a grand time today. Eliza got three of these:



Each one was like a nail in the proverbial coffin of her relationship with her pediatrician.

Then we got to put Eliza on one of these:



Of course Dr. G's scale is not made of shiny brass. But brass or no brass the damn thing did not move past 29 pounds. Eliza is now officially in the 50th percentile for a two year old. She is four. Actually she is now 50 months old, but who except for me is counting?


Note to gentle readers: If you have a 4 year old who is say, 35 pounds and eats "only" 3 chicken nuggets a day, or a 3 year old who is also only 29 pounds and only eat 8 jars of purees a day, I forewarn you I will NOT feel your pain, but likely suggest you do some higher math before trying to make me feel better with these comparisons. I know you will mean well, but my empathy gene is on vacation this week. It will be back next week.

5 comments:

  1. Seriously a 2 yrs old should be 29 lbs ugh I think my good day just went out the window! Jonathan is 2.5yrs and 21 lbs oh well he's happy( as I am bursting into tears)!
    Still love reading about Eliza she is just way too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son's weight gain (or lack there-of) is SO the bane of my existence! I hear ya! But he's happy. And Eliza sure is a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,

    It is very painful for a mother when child is not growing because of their food intake. I can simply feel your frustration from the blog and my girl who will be four next month is very very skinny and feeding her little bit of food is a nightmare and I cry in each meal because she doesn't eat one bite by herself and it is only puree but I have to almost force feed her so she will stay alive. There is no words to make you feel better I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slightly disappointed to read that your Dr's scale is not, in fact, made of shiny brass ;) I had a picture in my mind of Eliza perched on one of the weighing pans!

    I've done the higher math so I'm just sending sympathy to Eliza, for the three ouches, and to you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We FINALLY got past that darn 29 pound mark. Caleb is now 4.5 years old and last week at his pulmonary appt he weighed 30 pounds, 8 oz!! (With his clothes on of couse, but I don't care!!) I never thought he'd be 30 pounds! So don't lose hope! It's great that Eliza has given up her bottles. We're still working on that at our house.

    On a side note, our 2 year old was also weighed last week and he weighs 32 pounds. My new most hated comment "I bet Isaac's good appetite will make Caleb want to eat more."

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...