Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Geography

This past weekend Eliza and I attended a family reunion in Florida. It was quite the insight into how the mind of a preschooler works.

Virtually all of Eliza's many plane trips have ended with her arrival on St. Maarten on the "big plane" and then on to the "small plane" to Saba where she is greeted by Nana Wilda, Rissa and Smutty the cat. When we landed in Orlando, Eliza immediately asked where the small plane was to take us to Nana Wilda, Rissa, Smutty and a half dozen other family members. Try as I might to explain to her we were in Florida and not St. Maarten or Saba, she would not budge in her belief that Nana Wilda, Rissa and Smutty were just around the corner. My mother even broke out a map of Saba to try to explain the basics of geography to Eliza.



Eliza could identify some of the locales on the map, but was not dissuaded from her belief that she was on her way to Saba. On the way home two days later, she once again insisted that Nana Wilda, Rissa and Smutty would be waiting for us when our plane landed.

I had to disappoint her with the news were landing in Newark :)

4 comments:

  1. Did this freak her out? When I try to explain things like this to emery and he can't quite grasp it he has melt downs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say "freak" but we spent a LOT of time explaining that this was a different airplane and different place. We went looking for Nana Wilda and pretended she was hiding.

    Here is the funny thing. As you would imagine, Orlando has far, far superior television choices than Saba. Tonight she asks to watch the Dinosaur Train. It is not a show I have here in NY. I tell Eliza it is not on this TV and she says "Oh we can see it on Saba."

    She is going to be sorely disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH, Dinosaur Train is HUGE in my house! I think it's on PBS...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a hard concept to grasp. After long drives Elizabeth always asks 'are we still in Canada?'. I have tried to show her on a globe where we are and how big Canada is but it is a very difficult concept to grasp. At least Eliza knows where she wants to be.
    I echo Sara, Dinosaur Train is great, how do we have it in Canada and you not in New York?

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...