Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rude Awakening

Eliza is in for a very rude awakening tomorrow.  As in this kind of rude awakening:



Yes, little Miss Sleeps-Late will not be waking up at her usual 8:30 a.m., but at 7:00 a.m. for her first day of First Grade tomorrow.

It seems that some slacker mother has allowed Madam to stay up until 10:00 p.m. making endless Angry Bird and Pokemon characters from the endless heap of colored paper we have.  Now I have tried for the past 2 weeks to get her to bed earlier, but since Eliza is pretty good at entertaining herself with her imagination, even if she is in bed at 8:30, she will happily gab away until 10:30 or so. 

In a cruel twist of fate, Eliza's G.I. recently upped her dose of an appetite stimulant and I am pleased to say it is working very well.  However, it is working so well that Eliza wakes up at 1:00 a.m. asking her poor mother to make her scrambled eggs (said mother obliges since any food at any hour is a good thing in this household).

So adding the late bedtime, the middle of the night breakfast and the early wake up, I would say Eliza and I are in for a big bucket of ugly tomorrow morning.

11 comments:

  1. Eggs at 1am! I'm not sure if I should congratulate you or feel sorry for you!

    Can't wait to hear what tomorrow is like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Eliza and poor Mommy!

    And holy cow - not only is she eating scrambled eggs, but she's actually asking for them! (Ouch on having to make them in the middle of the night.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to Eliza on her first day of school!! I will wear the slacker mother cap with you, Sam is rarely asleep before 10 am, since hubs works from home, there is no need for him to get up early and get dropped off at day care when I go to work....so he usually sleeps til 8 or 9 and doesn't go to day care til 10. Thankfully I still have two years to work on this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam assures me that if I hand him a glass of water so he can take a big deep breath and a drink of water when he first wakes up, "It gets rid of the crabbies." Hasn't seemed to work much during this transition to school hours, but one can always hope. If "the crabbies" is the price you pay for scrambled eggs at 1am, it seems worth it. Here's hoping that it only takes a week or two for the crambled egg request to work it's way closer to 7am. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First Grade! I hope it is a wonderful day for Eliza. (And that the morning wasn't as rough as anticipated.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, is it Periactin? and if so, how much is she on? We're having good success with Periactin and I've been thinking about asking for a dosage increase.

    I hope the morning went well and she's having a good start to 1st grade!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, Yes it is Periactin. 5 ml in the morning and 5 ml in the morning. Seems to be helping this go around. Much better than in the past. This time Dr. L said not to do the "holiday" every two weeks and just to leave Eliza on it until it seems to lose effectiveness. It's been about 8 weeks now and no sign of wearing off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know - we're at 1ml in the AM and 5ml in the evening. We've been doing it straight through for 3 months now and the effectiveness hasn't worn off. If we forget a dose, we notice the next day. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you! I know the struggle to feed the child! Is periactin making her sleepy though?
    My doctor suggested only in the evening because she thought it would make my daughter sleepy during working hours at school. Do you see any changes of Eliza's behavior(tiredness or sleepiness)?
    Thanks so much for this post!
    Good luck with everything. Eliza is so smart and that's the very positive sign!

    Kakali.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just signed Elizabeth up for a sleepover with the dino's at Toronto's ROM and the first thing she said was I think Eliza would like to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so sweet of Elizabeth! Eliza can't wait until next year when she can sleep at the museum here! And frankly neither can I! I think Eliza and I need to make a road trip next summer to get the Dino Girls together!

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...