Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Baby Obsession

Eliza has become obsessed with babies. 

Not these babies:


Eliza would rather put a fork in her eye than play with a doll.

But Eliza is quite keen on these kind of babies:


I have spent weeks explaining to Eliza that she is going to be the one and only baby in this household.  I've tried the:

Mommy  loves you so much, there is no room for another baby.

Eliza advises that we can make room for a baby, all I have to do is sleep on the couch.

Mommy is too old to have another baby.

Eliza quickly pointed out that she sees women with white hair all the time with babies and since my hair isn't white yet, I am not too old.

Mommy has an ugly uterus (so ugly that my OB took a lovely photo, suitable for framing, since she had never seen one looking so bad in 30 years of birthing babies).

Eliza asked what a uterus was.  OK so not my best reason so I quickly asked her if she wanted to make origami Pokemon characters to change the subject.  Worked like a charm.

Mommy's eggs are old.

Eliza pointed out that Costco sells them by the dozens.  She might have a point here because if I was a celebrity with unlimited resources I could buy some fresh,organic eggs and give the ugly uterus another try.

Eliza has even gone so far as to let me know that she knows I don't need to be married to have a baby so this shouldn't be a problem.  She firmly believes that getting married is only a good idea so we can have someone around to fix things in the apartment.

So maybe the solution is that I borrow an infant for a few hours on weekends until this phase passes?

Not the sort of ad one can place on Craig's List though.

4 comments:

  1. Haha. Too bad we aren't closer! I have an Infant you could borrow! He's really cute (i know, works against you). But his cry is a high pitched squeal/ shriek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute. You can borrow Harrison he has a scream that make your ears ring and unfortunately it happens quite frequently. He is really cute but has a fiery temper that might send Eliza running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have dressed my 15 year old daughter in diapers and stuck a pacifier in her mouth. She's on her way to your home right now. No charge!

    Love your blog and your writing style.

    -Buffi
    www.imbuffi.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Buffi! I'll let Eliza know our new "baby" will be a bit more fully grown than she was hoping for :)

    ReplyDelete

Prematurity... Should It Be a Classification for Special Needs Services?

It is hard to fathom that in a couple of days Eliza will be ten. I look back on the past decade and and am amazed, and often baffled, how sh...